An Intimate look at Dementia: Examining Issues Surrounding Intimacy and Ethics For People Living With Dementia
Speaker – Ann Marie McDonald, MBA MEd, and Outreach Manager, Alzheimer’s Association, Houston and Southeast Chapter
A frank discussion regarding the physical and emotional needs of PWD (person with dementia) as well as the ethical questions surrounding sexuality and memory impairment. Objectives of the presentation will include:
- Acknowledge and explain the continued need for intimacy for PWD.
- Identify how sexual relationships might change throughout the progression of the disease.
- Develop strategies to address inappropriate sexual behaviors.
- Discuss the ethical issues regarding sexual relationships with or between PWD.
- Utilizing real life case studies and examples.